Yabba Dabba Do Pt. 1   Leave a comment


Since the last update, we’ve started getting into some body work. There’s still not a lot you can see just by looking at the outside. But we’re starting to get a little closer to some visible paint and body work. I was able to get the rest of the front clip and frame painted and finished as I mentioned in the last repair post. The latest projects to be tackled from the to-do list were some cab work and replacement of the floor pans. I had hoped to just patch the floor but as you’ll see below they were just too far gone once we cut out all of the rust. The holes in the floor would eventually grow to a size that would have let Fred Flintstone drive JP.

 

First up, I decided that it might be a good idea to make sure the cab didn’t slide off the frame at some point. We replaced the four cab to frame mounts with new rubber, bolts, and washers. While we were at it, we changed the two radiator support mounts. I couldn’t get a good picture of the new parts in place on the truck so I just took a couple of shots of the hardware itself.

        

                               Originals                                                                                      Replacements

Next, I took the bench seat out so we could have better access to the floor pans.  Since this also gave us room to get to the gas tank we went ahead and removed it for cleaning and painting.  This also let us get behind the tank on the back cab wall to assess anything we might need to do back there. Fortunately, it was in good shape except for some surface rust that I hit with some sandpaper and rust treatment. Below are some shots of the gas tank.

        

The shots above show the gas tank as it came out of JP. Notice the brown spot in the grass in the first picture? That’s where some friendly neighborhood thieves spilled gas as they siphoned the gas out of the tank. I’m surprised they didn’t just take the tank. I don’t know if I was madder about them stealing my gas or killing my grass. It was probably one of my neighbors getting back at me for having such a rough looking vehicle sitting in our driveway for so long.

        

The finished tank. We also replaced the old gas tank connector hose that attaches to the pipe that sticks out of the cab behind the driver’s door. It had dry rotted along with the rubber grommet that seals the hole where the pipe exits. I haven’t replaced the grommet yet but it’s on the list.

This is a shot of the cab without the seat and gas tank. Like I said, not bad at all. A little sanding, some rust converter, and primer and I was done.  I’ve misplaced some pictures of the cab after I primed it but hopefully I’ll be able to find them for part 2 of this installment.

Now I was ready to get after those floor pans. At some point, a previous owner had tried to fix the floor pans by slapping fiberglass on them. That didn’t look too good and you could really see the bad sports from underneath the truck. This is what the floors looked like when we got JP.

        

The first shot is obviously the driver’s side followed by the passenger’s side. These pictures were actually taken after I had tried an experiment to see if aircraft paint stripper would eat the fiberglass to make it easier to get up. It will.

            

These two shots above are the rust I would have to deal with afterI got the fiberglass up. At this point I’m naïvely still thinking I can get by with some patches. Next up, I broke out the sawzall. That led to a funny exchange with Hannah. When she saw me open up the case and pull the sawzall out, she headed for the house and said, “I’m gettin’ outta here before somebody gets hurt!” Probably not a bad idea.

        

These two shots show the driver’s and passenger’s floors after my first pass with the saw. At this point it became pretty apparent (even for me) that a simple patch was not going work. The rust was just too extensive and to do it right the whole pans really had to be replaced. The problem was finding someone to do it for me since I can’t weld. And that would mean more money. Luckily, once again Dad came up with a solution. I’ll get into that in part 2 of this installment.

BTW, who said old trucks don’t have the creature comforts of today’s vehicles? Check out JP’s cup holders below.

There’s one for the passenger and you can see the one on the other side for the driver. Of course I’ll have to come up with something else when we get the heater installed since those are defroster vents but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

In part 2 of this installment, I’ll show some pictures of the finished floor pan work and a few other miscellaneous items we’ve been working on.

Advertisements

Posted November 18, 2011 by jglee920 in Interior

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: